Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Meatloaf Makeover


My daughter LOVES meat - hamburgers, steaks, pot roast, ribs, and especially meatloaf.  Last year I asked her what special dinner she wanted me to make for her birthday - meatloaf!  I blame my husband for this meat loving gene that she inherited.


I get tired of making plain old meatloaf and I don't like to serve beef more than once a week so I decided to mix it up tonight and pull out my recipe for spinach filled turkey meatloaf.  As you could imagine, the kids scraped out the green filling and ate the outside of the loaf.  My only hope is that somehow some of the nutrients from the spinach seeped into the turkey during the cooking process.  (Unlikely, but I'm hanging onto the dream.)  My husband and I quite enjoyed the meatloaf AND the filling.

Spinach Filled Turkey Roll
½ pound mushrooms                  
¼ cup green onions           
¼ cup chopped celery                  
1 Tablespoon butter                   
1 package frozen spinach, thawed               
1 egg
2 slices of bread, crumbled
1 Tablespoon herb and garlic soup mix
1 pound ground turkey
         
Saute mushrooms, onions and celery in butter.  Stir in spinach and salt.  Remove from heat.  Cool.  Combine eggs, bread, onion, soup mix and pepper.  Crumble turkey on top.  Mix.


On a piece of foil, pat turkey into a  8x5” rectangle.


Spread spinach mixture to 1” on edges.


 Roll up starting with a long side and place seam side down on a baking dish.


Cover and bake 50 minutes at 350.  Uncover and bake 10 minutes more.  Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

I made this meatloaf early in the afternoon and put it in the refrigerator until dinner time.  I love having dinner ready before the kids get home from school.  Things are always busy from the time they walk in the door until we sit down for dinner.  I am more available to help with homework when I am not busy with dinner preparations.  (Although, I'm really not all that much help these days - not sure how I ever passed Chemistry.)  I hope that your family enjoys this meatloaf recipe and much as mine does.  Maybe one day my kids will even eat the "green stuff" in the middle. 

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment