Saturday, September 17, 2011

Soccer Season


Soccer season is officially underway.  My daughter loves to play soccer and she has some really good skills.  (I'm not biased either.)


She definitely works hard at practice and on the on game field.  As I sit here typing, she and her dad are at the soccer field getting some extra practice in.  She's dedicated to improving her skills and it's paying off.  




Win or lose, she always comes home from her games and her practice - starving.  Since she has inherited my sweet tooth, she usually reaches for a sweet treat to satisfy her hunger after a game. 



I found a recipe for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the April issue of Cooking Light magazine and decide that they were worth a try. 





Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 cup coconut
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 ounces dark chocolate chunks

Arrange coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes at 350 or until lightly toasted.  Cool.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla and egg.  Add flour mixture and bat until just combined.  Stir in chocolate and coconut.  Scoop onto silpat lined baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes at 350. 

I must have made my cookies twice as big as the recipe intended because I only came out with 12 cookies instead of 25.  The only problem with my over sized cookies is that when I increased the size, I also increased the calories.  Instead of 88 calories and 3.8 grams of fat per cookie, my cookies had about 176 calories and 7.6 grams of fat.  I guess I better not supersize my cookies anymore.  Despite the high calories - they were delicious and I will make them again - only smaller next time.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment