Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall in Full Swing



Last Sunday was a perfect day to be at the park.  The weather was cool and the leaves were just starting to change.  The kids rode their bikes and Mia and I walked around the lake. 


I love Fall.  There is nothing better than spending an afternoon outside in the cool Fall air and then warming up with a warm bowl of chili for dinner.  Crock Pot turkey chili is one of my favorite recipes to make when we have a busy day planned.  I put all of the ingredients in my crock pot, turn it on and walk away for 5 hours.  This is a super simple dinner that lets me spend more time outside with my family and less time in the kitchen.


Crock Pot Turkey Chili
2 cups shredded turkey                                       1 celery stalk
2 cloves garlic                                                        28 ounces whole tomatoes
15 ounces red beans, undrained                        15 oz black beans, undrained
15 ounces white beans, undrained                    6 ounces tomato paste
2.25 ounces black olives, sliced                         1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon oregano                                           1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar                                              1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder                                      1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes                         1/8 teaspoon sage
1/8 teaspoon paprika                                           1 bay leaf
3 dashes hot sauce                                                3/4 cup buttermilk
cheddar cheese, shredded





Stir together all ingredients except buttermilk and cheese.  Add to crock pot and cook on high for 5 1/2 hours.  Stir in buttermilk and cook 30 minutes.  Serve with cheese.





I served this chili to my husbands parents.  We all really liked it.   It's not very spicy so it's super kid friendly.  It's also a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken.  I love that it's loaded with vegetables and my kids still eat it.  (Please don't tell them its healthy.)


My suggestion for a great warm up meal on a cool Fall day - Turkey Chili.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment