Saturday, July 23, 2011

Watermelon Harvest


We harvested the first watermelon from my garden today - it was 24 pounds!  Last year was my first attempt at growing watermelon and I have to say that I did a lot of things wrong.  I learned a lot about how NOT to grow a watermelon.  This year, I gave my watermelons more room to grow and I gave them plenty of water everyday. I also let them ripen on the vine for a couple of extra weeks.


The watermelon was fantastic.  It was exceptionally sweet and juicy.  With temperatures expected to soar into the upper 90's today, we will definitely be enjoying this watermelon this afternoon.  I have about 18 more watermelon in my garden now and the vine is still producing flowers.  I may just quit my day job and become a watermelon farmer.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment