Sunday, July 24, 2011

Smoked Turkey


Yesterday, I smoked this turkey breast on the Big Green Egg.  I like to cook a turkey or turkey breast over the weekend because my family can eat it all week.  After I serve it the first night, I take the meat off the bones and divide it into small plastic containers.  I use the turkey for soups, salads, tacos, sandwiches and casseroles.  It is a big time saver to have the turkey already cooked when I am trying to prepare dinner in a hurry.  I used this recipe for our Thanksgiving turkey and it did not disappoint.


Smoked Turkey
3 Tablespoons oil
1 head of garlic, sliced in half
2 onions, quartered
1 orange, cut into wedges
32 ounces of chicken broth
1/2 gallon apple cider or water
1 cup salt
fresh tyhme and fresh sage

Heat oil in saucepan and add garlic, onions and orange.  Cook until fragrant.  Add water or cider and fresh herbs.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in salt and remove from heat.


Stir in 6 cups of ice water and cool to room temperature.  Place in a bucket or plastic tub and add turkey.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove turkey from brine and rinse.  Place turkey in a disposable aluminum pan and pour broth into the bottom of the pan.  Heat the egg to 250 and place the plate setter upside down over the coals.  Place the turkey pan on the plate setter.  Cook turkey at 250 for about 6 hours.  Remove from egg and tent with foil. 

Turkeys are a delicious source of lean protein and really shouldn't be reserved just for Thanksgiving.  They are relatively inexpensive and easy to cook.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment