Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Halloween treats

The Halloween countdown has begun.  Even though I don't usually put on a costume or decorate with scary decorations, I still love the excitement that this holiday generates in my house.  The kids have been busy planning their costumes for Monday night.  Last year was rather unusual because I actually made myself a Halloween costume - I was a smore.  I have no plans yet for a costume this year but I'll let you know if that changes.


I love to make sugar cookies and I make them for just about every holiday.  I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe to make some pumpkin cookies last week.  This recipe came from a Williams Sonoma kids baking cookbook.  I've used it for years because it makes beautiful (and delicious) sugar cookies.  

Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter                            2 ½ cups flour
¾ cup sugar                          1 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg yolks                             ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

Beat butter and sugar for 4 minutes.  Add egg yolks.  Add vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Divide dough into 4 portions, wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Preheat oven to 350.  Roll dough to ¼“ thickness and cut with cookie cutters.  Place on baking sheets and bake 8 minutes.





I use my silpat sheets to bake all of my cookies.   I am so used to using them, I don't think I could bake without them anymore.











I frosted all of the cookies orange first.





Then it was time to get creative and add faces.  I made some boy pumpkins and some girl pumpkins.


Normally when I start decorating cookies my kids jump in and help.  Both of my kids love to decorate sugar cookies and it usually turns into some sort of decorating competition.  Unfortunately, while I was decorating this batch, both kids were busy with homework.  (At least that's what I am led to believe.)  I decorated these by myself which isn't nearly as much fun as watching the kids decorate but it won't be long before I'm baking turkey cookies for Thanksgiving.  I'll make sure to include them in the turkey cookie decorating.
 
If sugar cookies aren't your cup of tea, maybe you will like the pumpkin roll ups that I made last weekend.  A super easy snack, lunch or appetizer that you can customize your own tastes.
I used sundried tomato wraps and filled them with American cheese.  I rolled the wraps and then sliced them into 1" rounds.  I secured each with a toothpick and a sprig of fresh parsley.


These would make a great treat for any Fall party.  You can fill these pinwheels with almost any filling.  (lunch meat, spinach dip, shredded carrots, hummus)  Send me a comment with your best filling ideas because I have more tortillas to fill. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment