Friday, October 28, 2011

Not so origional





My kids love this snack mix.  I can't blame them really - what's not to like??   Melted chocolate, peanut butter and butter poured over crunchy cereal and covered in sugar. 

 

My mom handed this recipe down to me a long time ago - even before I was married.  It was passed down to her from a family friend.  I thought that it was an original recipe and I made it for years thinking I was making a unique snack mix that very few people had ever heard tasted.  You can imagine my surprise when I was eating breakfast one morning only to find my "original" recipe on the back of the Chex cereal box!  So much for having an origional recipe - little did I know that Chex lovers everywhere were making the same recipe. 

I copied the Chex recipe for Muddy Buddies from the Chex webiste to my blog. 
15 Minutes!

Chex® Muddy Buddies®

Another popular name for this favorite mix is "puppy food". Chow down; it's doggone good!
Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
Makes:18 servings (1/2 cup each)
  
Corn Chex®Rice Chex®Chocolate Chex®
Ingredients
9cups Rice Chex®, Corn Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
1cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2cup peanut butter
1/4cup butter or margarine
1teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2cups powdered sugar




Preparation Directions
1.Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2.In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3.Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Nutritional Information
1 Serving: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 170mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 16g); Protein 3% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 6%; Iron 25Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils
*% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

I thought I would a few pictures of my own too.






Corn Chex





Melted chocolate, peanut butter and butter










Coated cereal









Cereal mix drying on waxed paper lined cookie sheets.














I added a bag of candy corn to my snack mix to make it more festive. 

My kids were super excited to see this snack sitting on the table when they got home from school.















After I stopped them from eating it all, I put some in baggies to send to school for FCA snack.









Warning:  This snack mix is VERY addictive.  It is really hard to stop eating it once you start.



Just in case you were curious - and you probably are - my family didn't eat all of this week's featured Halloween treats.  Quite a few of them went to a party last weekend for my group of middle and high school girls from church.

 


I packed up the peanut butter spider crackers, the chocolate pretzels, the rest of the Muddy Buddies snack mix, the chocolate popcorn, the spider cupcakes and the pumpkin cookies for the party.  You didn't really think that we are ALL those treats by ourselves, did you?


We had some teenage help.  I saved a few treats and put them in the freezer to save for Halloween night too.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment