Monday, December 12, 2011

Tree Trimming Snacks

 

I am very behind in my Christmas decorating this year.  We bought our Christmas tree yesterday - came right home, put it up and started decorating - no time to waste.  While we were decorating, we snacked on caramel chocolate covered pretzels - yum. 


These pretzels may just be my husband's favorite Christmas treat.  I made a double batch this year (about 55) because I wanted some for my family and I needed to send some to a school party this week.  They are fairly easy to make and they are really good.

Chocolate Caramel Pretzels






Melt caramel (I used Kraft caramels) and 1 teaspoon of water in the microwave. 









Sometimes I have to reheat the caramel for a few seconds if it hardens during the dipping process.










Line pretzel rods up on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat or waxed paper.









Dip pretzels in warm caramel.  Place on baking sheet to cool.




Melt chocolate in microwave.  (I like Wilton candy melts.)





Dip each pretzel in melted chocolate.









Place pretzels on baking sheets to allow chocolate to harden.









It's fun to get creative and sprinkle pretzels with toppings too.  Some of our favorite toppings:


Heath Bar bits and ...



Christmas sprinkles.

I've made hundreds of these chocolate caramel pretzels over the past couple of years and I still end up breaking a few in the process.  My family loves to hang around the kitchen while I'm making these because they all want to be the first to get the inevitable broken pieces.  


My son assured me that chocolate caramel pretzels would helped him study for his upcoming finals.  (Not sure I bought that argument.)  I packed up some of the pretzels to send to school and the ones that didn't get packed or eaten tonight, I will save for Christmas.  I better hide them. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment